Newsjack Series 7 Episode 1 – recording and getting stuff in

Great fun at the recording tonight. I’ve never been to a Newsjack before and the cast are really very good at performing the stuff live and I had a great time.

Which was probably helped by getting a couple of bits in. My Vladimir Putin sketch was in, with a LOT of editing. The edits did make it better and funnier, so I can’t complain especially as I’m going to claim all the credit if it makes the broadcast!

I also got a random single line pulled from my Richard III sketch and welded into a different sketch which is brilliant (but a strange feeling hearing it all of a sudden out of context!).

I was there with a few writing friends and my sister and a couple of others had stuff in (particularly Jamie who had been invited into the Newsjack writers room the day before). So good times all round.

Now I just have to cross my fingers, toes and nostril hairs that I get into the edit. Roll on Thursday.

Trackback URL

8 Comments on "Newsjack Series 7 Episode 1 – recording and getting stuff in"

1. Vivienne Riddoch
    20/09/2012 at 6:18 am Permalink

Oh, well done; that was probably my favourite sketch (and everyone else seemed to love it, too).

I didn’t make the cut, which didn’t surprise me as I’m still very much a newbie and see my Newsjack submissions as a correspondence course, really.

Best wishes

Vivienne

2. david
    20/09/2012 at 8:19 am Permalink

Thank you, Vivienne. Although as I say the script eds did a very good job on it as well!

Sorry to hear you didn’t get anything in but the competition is fierce and the most important thing is to keep doing it. Like anything the more you do something the better you get. It’s also worth writing for other outlets if you can eg [begin plug] the Kirrin Island podcast, which may not (yet) have the kudos (or cash) of a Newsjack credit but is still a good opportunity to have your work broadcast[ end plug].

3. Gina
    20/09/2012 at 8:40 am Permalink

Great news. Congratulations. I’ve only got about 7 hours and 42 minutes to wait and see if anything I submitted is in. Did you know in advance you had got your script in or was it a surprise?

4. david
    20/09/2012 at 5:05 pm Permalink

I didn’t know until I heard it in the show! The advantage of going is you find out almost 24 hours earlier – and get to have a laugh at the same time. Unfortunately I don’t think I’ll make it to many more this series – that’s what happens with two small kids in the house.

PS You will probably know by now if you did or didn’t make it. But still, good luck.

5. Vivienne Riddoch
    20/09/2012 at 11:28 am Permalink

Thanks for the encouragement. I’m definitely viewing Newsjack as a good way to get me disciplined about writing (ditto NewsRevue). Actually, I had been thinking of investigating Kirrin Island, so thanks for the reminder.
    Right, back to sub-editing a plumbing magazine (can’t think why I would want to get into comedy writing…).

6. david
    20/09/2012 at 5:12 pm Permalink

Still, (at least at this level) I’m sure plumbing magazines probably pay better on a £ per effort basis!

7. Hennell
    21/09/2012 at 9:07 am Permalink

The Putin sketch was brilliant – and (having had a heavily re-worked in the last series) it’s really interesting seeing how they re-wrote it, but I found it very weird to listen to the first time. How was it from sitting in the audience?

(Also what was your line in the Richard the 3rd bit? )

8. david
    21/09/2012 at 5:37 pm Permalink

Thanks Hennell. I wasn’t sure it was mine at first!

Yes it was interesting seeing the difference to my original. I should post the original on here as a comparison (although I’m worried that might take the shine off a little!). Tom had rewritten almost every line, added in the cheese shop sketch instead of another antiopposition joke and “Combat of my Fathers”. In fact the only bit that was as I wrote it was “Priveyt” (hello in Russian). But the concept was intact. In my sketch Putin presents his own satire mocking only the opposition and making bad jokes that everyone must laugh at on command. So I think I contributed something.

I had a line in that Richard III sketch about “morality induced body dysmorphia or Abu HAmza syndrome”. (I almost wrote “I had a line in Richard III”, but that would make me sound like I was trying to get my gags into Shakespeare – an even harder market to crack than NJ!)

Hi Stranger, leave a comment: