Getting two sketches into Newsjack Series 7 Episode 4

So that credit was not one but two sketches on Newsjack. Mine were the “coping without electricity” sketch (where I was very pleased that the tortoise line got a good laugh) and the “cloning jokes” sketch.

Even more exciting, I have been invited into the writer’s room next Tuesday. Which also a bit scary as they will all be very good and funny,  and I’ll be… well, me. But I’m looking forward to it.

I do think it very good that the BBC deliberately provide these stepping stones, e.g. Non-commissioned writer, invited in to one writers meeting, commissioned writer, staff writer, script editor etc. It gives more people a chance to break in to comedy writing as a job. For now, though, I’m more than happy just to be there!

It shows that plugging away for four series can get even a pleb like me a break.

Trackback URL

, , , , , , , , , ,

15 Comments on "Getting two sketches into Newsjack Series 7 Episode 4"

1. Rachel W
    17/10/2012 at 7:40 am Permalink

Fantastic news! Enjoy next week, looking forward to reading about the experience. 🙂

2. Hennell
    17/10/2012 at 9:58 am Permalink

Excellent work on the sketches, and a well deserved invite – I’m unbelievably jealous!

3. david
    17/10/2012 at 5:03 pm Permalink

Thanks Hennell. Much appreciated.

4. Gina
    17/10/2012 at 11:40 am Permalink

Fantastic news. Congratulations. And don’t forget, they invited you because you’re very good and funny too.

5. david
    17/10/2012 at 5:04 pm Permalink

Thank you, Gina. I’m sure it will be good. I’m not too scared, honest!

6. Sleepy
    17/10/2012 at 1:24 pm Permalink

Congratulations! Can I ask: what’s been your success rate with Newsjack before S7E4, in terms of (very approximate) number of credits in this and the preceding series? I ask because it would be great to have a sense of a timeline, that if you can hit a certain consistency mark you might be considered for an invitation too!

7. david
    17/10/2012 at 5:18 pm Permalink

Sleepy

I haven’t had that many successes. Only one credit in the last series (series 6). I had my first sketch on back in series 4. Then one sketch and a line in S7E1 and the two sketches in S7E4 as you know. So… it’s a bit hard to say what the mark is.

I remember looking at the stats for S6 and it was very rare to see people (other than Script Eds or commissioned writers) with more than one credit, so my complete and utter guess is that two credits in one series would be a start… but I would think it’s not too formal a process.

8. Vivienne Riddoch
    17/10/2012 at 7:44 pm Permalink

That’s great news! And well deserved! I’m sure you’ll let us know what it’s like in the dragons’ den…

9. Sleepy
    18/10/2012 at 7:15 am Permalink

That’s very handy to know, thank you – and congrats again!

10. Chris
    18/10/2012 at 1:17 pm Permalink

Very well done. It’s really good to know that perseverance (and talent) does pay off eventually. Good luck.

11. david
    19/10/2012 at 9:15 pm Permalink

Thanks Chris. Talent helps but I think perseverance (and a willingness to learn and change what you do) is probably more important.

12. frank edwards
    30/10/2012 at 8:15 pm Permalink

hi david, well done! you sound like you are going places. Im really interested in the presentation side of things here, you know like ‘this is the way a sketch or one liner was sent and its 12point arial and the margins are…’
    is there any wayn you could send me one of your old sketches as sent so i can do my own work in the correct form. i would be eternally grateful because i know it matters a lot if a piece is submitted in a somewhat professional way.
    best wishes
    frank
    p.s. cloning jokes? i havent heard it yet but it sounds hilarious already!

13. david
    30/10/2012 at 9:28 pm Permalink

Hi Frank.

Thanks for the comment. I’m very busy this week but I will post up some templates shortly. These are just from my own submissions based on BBC guidelines and other helpful people such as Mr Dan Sweryt.

Trackbacks

1. [...] just in case all that Newsjack action wasn’t enough excitement for one week (not to mention moving house, marking [...]

2. [...] I moved house, marked a large pile of professional exam papers (new pile now arrived) and went to my…

Hi Stranger, leave a comment: